I was a independent contractor as a semi truck driver. I…

Customer Question
Please, I was a...

Please, I was a independent contractor as a semi truck driver. I delivered a load of steel pipe for fencing to Birmingham Alabama. While I was there they offloaded me and dropped a bundle of pipe approx 12 to 15 pieces I’m guessing 2 to 2500 lbs breaking my leg both bones, fracturing my heel which also had to have skin graphs and crushing my foot to the point of amputation of maybe two toes because of lack of circulation they was paying for everything when I was down at Birmingham uab hospital I transferred up to clarksvillle tn hospital and to stay with my son during the rehab process. I and the hospital have left there Human Resources division numerous messages about not paying or authorizing any prescriptions which I have had to pay for myself because my insurance won’t cover. What can I do? I’ve spent 500$ in ten days on these needed Medications and supplies. Soon the bills from the hospital will be coming in and I’m unable to work I’m still not able to place any weight on leg

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the truck?

The incident occurred in Alabama I had to turn the truck back in cause I couldn’t afford the payments without any income but it was a 2014 freightliner cascadia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I assume it was in Birmingham I was taken by ambulance who would I have filed with?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That’s it nothing more other than I and the dr offfice up here have tried numerous times to contact them (Eagle fencing the place I delivered to and who dropped the pipe on me

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/9/2017
Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer
I am very sorry to hear this. Especially compounded with concerns over medical expenses. A company can be held liable (vicarious liability, respondeant superior ) for the negligence of its employees when the employee is working for the employer.
Basically for personal injury due to negligence one would sue under the tort of negligence. If the plaintiff prevails the court can issue a judgment for actual damages (medical expenses ), lost wages, pain and suffering. Even punitive damages if defendant acted with reckless disregard or gross negligence.In such instances it is best to hire a personal injury attorney and they often work on contingency. The reason it is important to hire an attorney is because the attorney will ensure that future medical expenses are taken into consideration as well as doing research in the particular jurisdiction to ensure a satisfactory settlement is requested. Additionally they will often arrange it so medical providers will have a lien on any judgment so one's medical needs are not delayed. Unfortunately we cannot provide referrals but you can contact the county bar for referrals.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information