Is it possible to subpoena cell phone text records without…

Is it possible to...

Is it possible to subpoena cell phone text records without the assistance of an attorney?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the subpoena was issued in?

There is not currently a subpoena. We are trying to determine if we can subpoena these records in WA state ourselves or if we must hire an attorney to do so for us.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

A restraining order was filed against my son by a woman who has been stalking and harassing him

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The woman who filed the order was my son's landlady. They had a shared cell phone account (two phones) with her as the account holder.

12/8/2017
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. Is there currently a case pending with the court?

There is a restraining order hearing pending

Thank you for the reply. If the cell phone records are relevant and needed to prove something at the hearing or even trial, you can ask the Judge to issue an order / subpoena, for these to be turned over. There is nothing wrong with you representing yourself and you would need to have this ordered by the court since cell phone carriers do not just release these records. You can do it and can ask the Judge for the order.

Thank you, that's all for now.

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

LegalKnowledge, Attorney