I have car ports up in my town of morenci mi. for 7 yrs they…

Customer Question
I have car ports...

I have car ports up in my town of morenci mi. for 7 yrs they put a new ordinance no canvas car ports can i win this because of grandfather clause

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Michigan and its carports shelter for cars

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Notice of violation

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/8/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

The US Constitution and MI constitution disfavor ex post facto laws. An ex post facto law is a law that takes something that used to be permitted and makes it illegal. Unless the town can prove that making this law retroactive satisfies some "compelling government interest" they cannot enforce it against people who had these car ports erected prior to the passage of the law when they were legal. So you should be entitled to a waiver based on the grandfather rights of having the carport up before it was against the law.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.