I have a question regarding a tenant who travel a lot,

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question regarding a tenant who travel a lot, therefor will leave my property unattended for a while

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Maryland

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I am concerned about weather as it cahnges with no heat on

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There is clause I am including in the lease so the tenant will inform me if he leave the premises for a long time

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/8/2017
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Here is a clause I added in my lease agreement to protect myself. but the potential tenant object to inform me of his absence as she thinks it is none of my busisness. but what if she is gone for a long time and the weather changes, and the pipes freeze while I am not aware. how can I protect myself.
"30. NOTICE OF ABSENCE. Tenant shall advise Landlord by telephone or in writing of an anticipated absence from the
property in excess of seven (7) days. During any such absence, Landlord may enter property at any time necessary to protect
the property from damages resulting from severe weather conditions, acts of nature, utility interruptions, public disruptions or similar
occurrences. This does not obligate Landlord, nor does Landlord assume liability for such occurrences."

This is prudent to add this and well within your rights as landlord during these months when a freeze is possible to avoid costly repairs and damages from a freeze.I don't have a problem with this at all, it is the prudent thing to do.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

But the tenant object to the clause. How can I change it to protect myself

Tenant assumes all liability for weather related damages and agrees to make arrangements to turn off water supply when he is out of town.

I mean you may need to find a new tenant, its important he either assumes liability completely or allows you to turn off water after they notify you.

He insists I remove the line where he has to notify me of his absence. How can I reword it

Tenant assumes all liability for weather related damages and agrees to make arrangements to turn off water supply when he is out of tow or other preventative measures.