This may be family law or criminal. I informed a family

Customer Question
This may be family...

This may be family law or criminal. I informed a family member I needed to stop the harassment and was going to court to get a TRO. The person emailed me twice demanding to know where and when I was filing the TRO and they were planning to show up which scared me to death. I lied and gave a different court house.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

CA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I did get the DVRO

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/8/2017
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. What can I answer for you?

A family member has been harassing me. I informed them I was going to get a restraining order. He demanded repeatedly to know when and where I was filing and wanted to me at my court. This terrified me obviously. I lied about the court and time and went to a different court. Is this criminal?

No :) I sincerely ***** ***** feel better... it's not criminal. Please let me know if I've answered your question. Could you please take a moment to check the box stating that I answered your question (assuming you don't need any clarification - but definitely ask if you do!) so that I receive credit for working with you. It does NOT cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively (3, 4, 5 stars - 5 stars ★★★★★ is definitely appreciated!). If you have follow up questions I'd be happy to answer them as well. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your questions.

It is not obstruction of justice? Is it just more harassment then? It seems pretty frightening to have someone to know time and place and say they will be there. For the exact reason I am getting the restraining order in the first place.

No, it has nothing to do with obstruction of justice.

It's not harassment either.

It's "I'm afraid to be around this person which is why I'm getting a restraining order" - and that's NOT a crime.