My son-in-law died with debts, specifically, the electric…

Customer Question
My son-in-law died with...

My son-in-law died with debts, specifically, the electric bill. I have gotten her an account of her own for electricity on her condo. Where does she stand about his former debt? Can the electric company come after her even though she was never named on her husband's account?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Ohio, Cuyahoga county

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Such as ???

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Her husband was on a payment plan but now the electric company has presented a bill for $618. More than was expected.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/8/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks for your patience. I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Generally, if a person has died, no one else owes those debts. The estate of the deceased will owe the debts. His wife will not be responsible for the debts at all. It is possible the electric company will order that the debt be paid though in this case in part because although your son in law was responsible for the debt, the electric company reserves the right to keep the property from having electricity until the debt is paid. So, this puts her in a weird spot where she doesn't have to pay; however, if she doesn't then she may not get electricity unless the company is willing to do such a thing. My recommendation would be to work on a payment plan or just complain to the higher ups about this situation to allow her electricity since it is a utility.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?