I hired a contractor, labor only, to remodel my home he

Customer Question
I hired a contractor...

I hired a contractor, labor only, to remodel my home he supplied a written estimate much higher than the verbal agreement now is not near through with the job and is requesting the remaining balance in the budget. I have a loan at the bank that is a line of credit. I have to send the invoice to the bank should be approved then check is issued. I made a mistake and wrote the check then sent copy of invoice to the bank the bank questions me about the progress of the job upon my answer they refused to advance the money. The contractor already had the check so they stopped payment had to be issued on the check or not stop payment but the money wasn't in the bank so the check was returned. The contractor is threatening to take the check to the sheriff and take legal action what do I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/8/2017
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well. I'm assuming the contractor is saying that you're criminally liable for a "bad check"?

He would be wrong. You would NOT be criminally liable because your intention was NOT to give him with a bad check. Whether you owe him the money would be determined by contract law, but it's not a criminal action in any way.

Please let me know if I've answered your question. Could you please take a moment to check the box stating that I answered your question (assuming you don't need any clarification - but definitely ask if you do!) so that I receive credit for working with you. It does NOT cost you anything extra and it allows me to get credit for helping you. Experts only get credit for the time and effort we spend on our answers if you rate positively (3, 4, 5 stars - 5 stars ★★★★★ is definitely appreciated!). If you have follow up questions I'd be happy to answer them as well. You CAN still ask follow up questions after rating. There may be a lag between your question and my answer; this is because I'm either not at my computer or helping someone else but I assure you I will ALWAYS come back and answer your questions.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney