Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney
Experience:  Partner at Kent Law Group, LLC
92304199

Im currently in between jobs, i have money saved so im not

Customer Question

Im currently in between jobs, i have money saved so im not "really" worried while i job hunt. Earlier today 12/7/2007 my roommate texted me n' said that our landlord called my employer to confirm if im still employed w/ them, now i didn't tell anyone about this mind you. And so when i got back my roommate and i spoke to lisa "landlord" in her office, after i started talking she had to ask what we were talking about.. my roommate said while we were in the office that she also checked out my paperwork/papers lisa has in the office which im assuming its supposed to be confidential. Lisa and my roommate christy are friends, i dont know if any of what i said is ok/legal thats why im asking..
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No, i don't think so.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Well, im not certain if what happened was ok or was that against my rights. Its why im asking..
Expert:  Olivia Kent replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. Please note this site is for general information for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Communicating with an expert on this site does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You might be offered a phone call, but you are under no obligation to accept; the phone call requests don’t come from me - they’re offered by the site - but if you do want a phone call I’d be happy to do that as well.

ANSWER: Is your question "could the landlord call my employer"? If so, the answer is NO. If your question is "should the landlord have shared the fact that you lost your job with your roommate" the answer is also no - but it's not illegal. Please let me know if I've answered your question - or if you're asking something else entirely.