My son was injured at school during gym. A football player…

Customer Question
My son was injured...

My son was injured at school during gym. A football player fractured his hip

Lawyer's Assistant: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

DC. He was not on a team or waiver neither should they have been exposed to trained football players and hits without pads. a few days later he was xrayed but

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed? If so, what?

The doc read the right hip rather than left and put him on 600 mg of motrin for 2 weeks. Four days later his femur broke out of the hip socket

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. Nothing has been filed

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
12/7/2017
Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer
I am terribly sorry for your son's injuries. That is rather severe. Basically the situation would be reviewed to see if the school was negligent either in allowing the contact to occur or negligent in failing to properly supervise. I am not aware of any cases requiring a school to keep athletes and others separated from one another for gym purposes. That would come down to a judicial determination as to what a reasonable school teacher would require and if there are any codes that address this (none that I am aware of). However if the school is negligent the student may sue for actual damages such as medical expenses, as well as pain and suffering and even punitive damages designed to punish defendant for reckless or grossly negligent behavior that the state has an interest in preventing.
It is best to hire an attorney to adequately address, after consultation and review of medical records and consultation with medical professionals as to long term prognosis, what a reasonable sum would be for compensation.
Any negligence attributed to the doctors negligence would be considered under medical malpractice and most medical professionals carry liability insurance for this.
Waivers are required to play football or any contact sport. To allow the sport to be played during gym without equipment and pads would be negligible i assume. What is the statute in DC for filing. Are you a probono
If it was contact (versus flag) most judges would likely come to the same conclusion.
We are not permitted to represent customers of the site.
Many personal injury attorneys do accept contingency fee cases
Code 12-301 provides up to 3 years to file a civil claim but there are administrative processes to follow for public schools.
Ok. How can i find contingency lawyers?
You can google your city and use keywords such as personal injury and contingency fee. The county bar may also provide referrals.
legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer