A member of my non-profit organization has recommended that…

Customer Question
A member of my...

A member of my non-profit organization has recommended that a finanancial donation be made to her grandson's autism school. Is this legal for our 501C3 Organization? Why? Thank you.

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me where the nonprofit is registered?

Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/7/2017
Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 4 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

Assuming that the autism school is also a non-profit, then the answer is yes. IT IS LEGAL for one non-profit to make a financial gift to another non-profit.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

You did not answer my question. I am aware that one non-profit can donate to another. Is there any inurement associated with this process since the member recommending the donation is the grandmother of the young man attending the school?

Ah, my apologies. No, not at all. There is no such prohibition.

Kind Reminder: Please, use SEND button to keep chatting, or please rate positively and click SEND to submit your rating once satisfied. You may always ask follow ups at no charge before or after rating. "I STRIVE FOR FIVE!"

Ely, Counselor at Law