In Wisconsin State Legslature It says That a Person can get…

Customer Question
In Wisconsin State Legslature...

In Wisconsin State Legslature It says That a Person can get personal property property out out a towed vehicle during business hour at no charge.Is this true ?I do not want to go there with out the facts too prove too this guys that we can get the clothes and stuff out of the vehicle.Can you help me?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Wisconsin and it is a SUV and it is a 2000 was towed because they said it was in the way of the snow plow .I did call the highway Department and they gave me until yesterday too move it but they towed it that night anyway .There was only two of the tires on the road the whole vehicle was not.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

No we just want the personal belongings out of it and the tow truck guy says that we need $200.00 too get the stuff.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No just if this state Legpslature thing is right that we can have the stuff out of the vehicle at no charge,

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/7/2017
Lawyer: legalgems, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Yes, that is correct; here is the subpart of the statute:
"3. No charge may be assessed against the owner for the removal or release of the personal property."

section 349.13

here:

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/349/II/13/5/b/2

also please see:

779.415 Liens on vehicles for towing and storage.

(1c) In this section, “vehicle" has the meaning given in s. 29.001 (87).

(1g)

(a) Every motor carrier holding a permit to perform vehicle towing services, every licensed motor vehicle salvage dealer, and every licensed motor vehicle dealer who performs vehicle towing services or stores a vehicle, when such towing or storage is performed at the direction of a traffic officer or the owner of the vehicle, shall, subject to sub. (1m) (b), have a lien on the vehicle for reasonable towing and storage charges, and may retain possession of the vehicle, until such charges are paid. If the vehicle is subject to a lien perfected under ch. 342, a towing lien shall have priority only to the extent of $100 for a vehicle having a manufacturer's gross weight rating of 20,000 pounds or less and $350 for a vehicle having a manufacturer's gross weight rating of more than 20,000 pounds and a storage lien shall have priority only to the extent of $10 per day but for a total amount of not more than $600 for a vehicle having a manufacturer's gross weight rating of 20,000 pounds or less and $25 per day but for a total amount of not more than $1,500 for a vehicle having a manufacturer's gross weight rating of more than 20,000 pounds. If the value of the vehicle exceeds $750, the lien may be enforced under s. 779.48 (2). If the value of the vehicle does not exceed $750, the lien may only be enforced by sale or junking as provided in sub. (2).

(b) If the vehicle is towed or stored under the directions of a traffic officer, any personal property within the vehicle shall be released to the owner of the vehicle as provided under s. 349.13 (5) (b) 2. No additional charge may be assessed against the owner for the removal or release of the personal property within the vehicle.

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/779/IV/415

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here:

legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer