My ex and I broke up December 4th after being together 4…

Customer Question
My ex and I...

My ex and I broke up December 4th after being together 4 years. In February of 2016 we got a dog. His parents originally put a deposit down on the dog but the breeder thought something was wrong with her and his parents no longer wanted her. My ex said we should take the dog and i agreed. At the time we were living in his parents basement. I have all the vet and food bills and have paid them. I spend majority of the time with them. In February of 2017 we purchased a home but under his name, again I still paid for all vet bills, took her to the vet, fed the dog, and my job allows me to bring her to play with others. He went after we broke up and had her microchipped and licensed. The dog is in my possession at a different residence now. Does he have any legal standing since he went and did all this after the fact?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No. I called the sheriff and he said it's a civil matter and would have to be taken to court. I contacted my vets and told them verification was needed from me to do anything. He tried to pose as me at one to get her microchipped but just took her to a different vet she had never gone too. Again, after I had moved out

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Oh will i be charged?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/7/2017
Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Richard, Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good morning. The sheriff it correct...this is not criminal matter; rather it's only a civil situation. If the two of you cannot agree on the ownership and/or custody of the dog, then one of you would need to file a petition in court for a declaratory judgment.....meaning you would present the facts to the court and ask the court to rule on the ownership and/or custody of the dog.

You can't tell me who it sounds like would get possession?

Yes...I can tell you that based on your facts, in my experience, a court would rule in your favor. But, if the two of you don't agree, only a court would have the authority to give you a ruling upon which you could rely.

Just following up. My screen indicates that you have not reviewed my response. Please let me know if you did not receive it so I can re-send it if necessary. Thank you! Richard