My husband bought our house before we were married. He had a…

Customer Question
My husband bought our...

My husband bought our house before we were married. He had a loan modification sometime after we were married. On the loan mod. documents he missed correcting the fact the he was not "unmarried man. He recently died, rather sudden and a friend said I may have to sell our house and split the money with his kids. Is there anything that can be done other then the kids signing a quick claim transferring their portion to me?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Like what?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No nothing filed yet. He only passed away 6 days ago. Our friends and neighbors and his co-workers all have heard him say he wants me and our son to be able to keep the house. I am just prepare in case his older kids decide not to play nice.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
12/7/2017
Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 8 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

My deepest sympathies for your loss.

Could you explain a little more?

Did your husband leave a Will or did he die intestate (without a Will)?

Thank you for your cooperation.

Intestate

Thank you for the information.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Your Question:

Response: Unfortunately, no. Also, since this is a separate property, property purchased before the marriage, you share of the sale proceeds would 1/3. See California Probate Code Section 6401(c)

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you.

Best wishes,

A positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.