My son is 17 and he and some friends were hanging out and…

Customer Question
My son is 17...

My son is 17 and he and some friends were hanging out and smoking cigarettes and when the police stopped and questioned them. All the kids were told they were going to recevie citation for possession of tabacco by a minor. However, they were not provided a citation, but were told they would receive it in the mail? This doesn't souund legit to me - when I get a citation for speeding, I get it right then and there - not later in the mail? Should I be concerned?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

Texas, and it happened a couple days ago. Probably Saturday.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No, because I am not sure that anything is coming "in the mail"

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/6/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Please do review my question. I'm wondering if the officers were trying to scare the kids? One of the kids left with his mother while the police were there??

Thanks, ***** ***** posting a question. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. In most cases, an officer will write up a notice of a citation right there on the spot. This usually is the case when someone is speeding or if they have violated some parking rules. However, this isn't always the case for non-traffic related incidents. Most officers have pre-printed forms for traffic stops, but given the vast nature of criminal and civil violations that may be committed, it is possible and even probable that they may not always be prepared to write up a copy of the citation on the spot. In many cases, an officer will return to the station and print up an official copy of the citation and have that be sent to the person that is being charged. It is possible that the officer may not decide to pursue the case at all, or, he may just forget about it since he didn't write something up; however, I would expect a citation to come through in the next few weeks.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

That's it. Thank you

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

3. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions on the cheap.

4. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!