We were renting and let are landlord know we had a problem…

Customer Question
We were renting and...

We were renting and let are landlord know we had a problem with leaks in the house.he never came back and fixed so now we got a 500 dollar water bill and he don't wont to help pay

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Just at the water department,I tried sending them a letter and nothing happened

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We are also being evected do to not being able to pay rent for 3 months due to the hurricane

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/6/2017
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 7 months ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

Landlord has to cover the bill and you are also entitled to a rent credit for the period your occupancy was affected.

If landlord wont agree to that, you may ask the court to award such damages for rent and water bill plus costs and interest

If my reply is acceptable, please reply "yes" or "acceptable"

Thank you ,we are going to court in the morning for back rent that we could not work due to the hurricane, I work contract so I could not get to my jobs due to high water.we have rented from the land lord and he has drug his butt about fixing problems
Inform the court of those facts!
You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!
Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Should we get a trail by judge are should we have a jury present and should I get a lawyer to go with me

Judge better as its faster and judge knows the law!

Good luck. Kindly take a moment to rate the answer positively.

If you dont see the rating button, can just write back "5 stars" or "acceptable"

What should we bring to court with us in the morning

I would have a timeline of events, correspondence, proof of rent paid, photos of the damages, utility bill.

Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. Happy Holidays!
How do we go about getting an apeal
If you obtained a negative decision you can appeal and pursue through the clerks office or using local counsel to file. martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.
The landlord suing me for back rent, we were living in bad conditions like mold in bathroom ,leaks in house causing water bill to be 500.00 in 1 month and he don't want to pay.we let him know about 2to 3 moths ahead of time so he could fix,what can we do to make him liable
Sue him using a lawyer on contingency fee basis. martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.
Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. Happy Holidays!Leaving a bonus after rating is very much appreciated.

awaiting your reply.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as experts are not employees of the site and do not get any credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.