Can a person sue fox news for brain washing an 83 year old…

Customer Question
Second opinion] Can a...

Second opinion] Can a person sue fox news for brain washing an 83 year old mother who watching fox news every waking moment and turning her back on everything, her family morels and everything fox new says like she is brain washed like she is involved in some cult that has destroyed our family,

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Wisconsin

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No but I feel I need to do something before it's to late to get her out of I believe is like being in a cult

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes my mom is very religious and now stands with anything they tell her,all the morels I was told and grew up believing is gone,she has turned her back on everything I was taught and her family,I am very upset and scared of what this has done to all of us as a family,she even is willing to not participate in Christmas because of fox news and politics

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/6/2017
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 7 months ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response both initially and when you add a follow up question or add facts. Please don't ask "are you there", etc., since when you post it can erase what I am working on. If we are having a conversation unless I tell you I am going offline, I will be here but I may be doing research.

While waiting for a response, please do not keep asking questions, such as "Are you there", etc. since that can erase whatever I am writing and also interrupts the thought process. I will be back with you as soon as I can do any research necessary, formulate a response, and type it in.

Unfortunately, it is highly unlikely for a number of reasons (although I assure you that you have my sympathies). The first is that she is voluntarily watching the channel as opposed to a cult where they have someone monitoring the person and keeping them involved.

Another reason is that, even though Fox is really not "news" (and I believe they have stated they are an entertainment channel), they are still entitled to a certain amount of freedom of speech and freedom of the press.

In addition, the courts have addressed these types of cases before both in class action suits as well as individual lawsuits. I don't remember seeing any of them go to appeal but I have not seen any won at trial by anyone suing Fox. That would mean no one would take the case on a % basis and it would likely cost you close to $100k or more to pursue such an action because they would defend the case as aggressively as possible and your chances of winning are probably 10% or less.

So, I don't see a way to effectively pursue them as much as I wish someone could.