My wife received [email protected] LAW SUIT about a credit…

Customer Question
My wife carol received...

My wife carol received [email protected] LAW SUIT about a credit card balance what can she do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We are in our 70s., with the only income from SS. what can she do?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/6/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation. This is not uncommon for people to have these things happen. Usually, once you have been sued, you have 30 days from the date the complaint was filed to file a response. If you don't file a response, then the other party can request a default (automatic) judgment against her and collect the entire balance. One of the easiest ways to deal with this is to file a response in your local court house, pay the filing fee, and have someone who is over 18 and not a party to the case serve the credit card company with a copy of the response.

I know of a great website that has responses to credit card lawsuits so you can take some of the thinking out of the process. If you click here, you can find a sample template response to a creditor lawsuit for just $10. I'd also encourage her to work on settling the debt after she files a response.

Sometimes, just settling the debt is the easiest thing to do. It doesn't always appear as if it's the easiest thing to do, but every single day lawyers across the country are explaining to their clients that if they just work on settling their debts in a way that makes sense for them and they are going to be in a better position in the long-term. To facilitate your situation, there’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for debt settlement (click here). It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If you send this letter and they do not respond, then try sending it again to remind them that settling is really what resolving disputes is all about.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?