Employee is in jail for check fraud. She is asking for her…

Customer Question
Employee is in jail...

Employee is in jail for check fraud. She is asking for her last check to be given to a friend that is going to see her in jail.... I said company will send her last check to the address on file. She can go from there. Question> do I need to make it certified or any proof of delivery is satisfatory?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Our company has filed a report and she walked out of the company in handcuffs

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. Just want to be safe releasing her check...

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/6/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You do not need to make it certified, but if the employee asks you to send their check to a different address, you can require them to provide you that request in writing to prove that the employee requested that it be sent elsewhere or given to someone. Once the employee does so, you can release it as the employer requests. If you send it to a last known address, knowing the employee is in jail and may not live there any longer that is not going to absolve you of still owing them the money.

So you need to ask them to send you instructions in writing for their last check and you need to comply with those instructions to be safe.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Thank you.
I want to make sure I am doing the right thing. I thought about asking for hand written instructions but I didn't think they would be valid because I was assuming that she ( or anyone pretending to be her ) could do that. And how do I prove it was not her?

You need to make her give you the written instructions and you keep that in your records as proof you did as instructed. It is easy, you can visit her in jail, so go visit and get her to sign. If not, you would need to send it to the last known address as you said.