My neighbor had me arrested for assaukt after he verbally…

Customer Question
My neighbor had me...

My neighbor had me arrested for assaukt after he verbally attacke me and my girlfriend now i have a desk ticket and there is talk about a restraining order against me

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I am also in an interracial relationship so the taunting from my neighbor was intentional and prejudice it has been going on for weeks but we never had proof so we could not do anything my neighbor finally pushed me over the edge, because he was drunk and irrate

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No, I was just released this morning I am also a college student

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Im also in new york

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/6/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You can file a complaint regarding hate crimes with the local DA and present him evidence that the neighbor is harassing you and attacking you based on the interracial relationship and seek to press charges against the neighbor through the DA. Unfortunately, if you do not have evidence to support your contentions, the police nor the DA can pursue the matter any further.

As far as the assault, you need to get a local attorney and you are entitled to a public defender if you cannot afford a local attorney to represent you. Most of these cases end up dismissed or with Deferred Adjudication (ACD), but they could potentially convict you and it would usually be only a fine on a first offense. The restraining order is a bit more difficult, since you do live in the premises and so does the neighbor and it could be difficult to avoid him, but you will have to figure out how to do so until the court drops that order against you.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Thank you

Thank you for your reply.