I have a contract with an out of state company. The term of…

Customer Question
I have a contract...

I have a contract with an out of state company. The term of the contract which I signed was stated as 36 months. Within the contract it is stated that if either party wishes not to renew the contract notice must be given 60 days prior to termination or the contract will automatically be renewed.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Texas. However, I didn't finish with question. The problem is that after the contract was signed by me someone crossed through the term of 36 months and just wrote 60. Upon learning that I called the company's office in Connecticut and couldn't get anywhere with them so I am mailing my letter not to renew, but I am about 30 days now because of the problems. I did not initial the change of 36 months to 60 and didn't even know about it. The contract was maid in Williamson County Texas. Trusting them, I didn't even look at the copy where the change was made. What are my rights?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

This is a home security firm. Upon looking them up on the internet I found nothing but bad reviews and found they have done this (misrepresenting, and changing terms and payment amounts) and worse to many people. Since they must be licensed by the state I called the licensing department and they told me how to file a complaint form with them. I'm in the process of doing that now. But what is my legal standing in regards ***** ***** renewal of the original 36 months term, and must I wait until the end of the fraudulently changed term of 60 months?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Only that the oral agreement at the time of making the contract (providing the same coverage of my home as the present company they were replacing) was not near adhered to. We have 15 windows in our home, all were alarmed. These people alarmed only 4. The smoke alarm was not connected. Can only connect our motion detectors if we leave the premises, setting the alarm in away mode. These things leave us seriously vulnerable. We are 3 elderly in the home (I'm near 83 ) My mother-in-law lives with us and she is 99.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/6/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

take your time. I do want an accurate answer and if you need additional information, please contact me.

Great, thank you! Bear with me a moment while I review…

Ok, so if I understand the timing correctly, you signed the agreement, you sent it back, they changed the 36 months to 60, but you haven't been able to get in touch with them since, correct?

Hello, it’s been awhile since we connected so I wanted to check in with you.