I have a small dog whohas gotten ill due to the dog food I…

Customer Question
I have a small...

I have a small dog whohas gotten ill due to the dog food I was feeding her that was supposed to be special for small dogs, My vet told me her condition is caused by the food. She has colitis and will have it the rest of her life.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I have contacted the dog food co. they have not gotten back to me. My vet says they are ignoring me,

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My little dog is on a expensive prescription diet now.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/6/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions.

I am at the point of wanting the dog food co. to step up and take some responsibilty. My little dog is a Yorkie and 2 yrs. old. She is very active and I hope she lives a long time with this condition. Her diet she has to be onb now is a prescription and very expensive.

I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. I have pets as well so I can only imagine what you're going through. This to me sounds like a classic case of negligence or a case of a defective product. Negligence simply means that there was a duty that the other party owed and they breached that duty in some way. What is most important is that it is proven that the defendant breached their duty of care because that is what mostly determines whether there is a cause of action. Basically, the question is, “Did the defendant’s actions fall below the standard of care for a reasonable person in a similar situation?” If the answer to that question is yes, then there is negligence and you are entitled to damages. Damages can be difficult to calculate, but if you click here you can use a calculator help you understand.

As far as a defective product, if the manufacturer makes a product that does not conform to the reasonable expectations of the buyer and causes some harm, you may be able to sue for damages as well.

You may want to consider just sending a formal demand letter to the company advising that their actions may result in litigation. For just $5, you and I an exchange contact information and have some private question and answer time. I also know of something that can help you with this situation. If you click here, you can request an attorney-prepared demand letter for a flat fee (usually around $250). Turnaround time is less than 48 hours. Take a look at the link and fill out the contact form if you’re interested.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

I am on a very limited income so can not afford a legal charge. My vet tells me he has treated other small dogs with same condition from same food. i can pay the $5. fee but no more.

Oh, I understand. It's totally your call. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation. Did you have any other questions for me?

Do you think this letter will help. I sent them a letter and have not responded to it.

It might help. Until they are threatened with a lawsuit, most companies will just ignore people to try to call their bluff. You may need to hire a local attorney and pay them a small fee to draft a letter for you. If you go to findlaw.com, you may be able to see if this company has been sued in the past and you may be able to find similar lawsuits. One thing I do for clients sometimes is I will find out who their law firm is and simply send them the letter. Even if the CEO isn't concerned, her lawyer may be highly concerned about the potential costs. Does that make sense?

Ok, excellent. What other questions did you have for me today?

Could you do this for me?

I would love to; however, I usually charge about $200-$250 for letters like these because it may include some research plus the writing that is involved. If you want to save some money, I would recommend doing it yourself; however, if you have the cash, I'd be more than happy to provide some options:-)

Hopefully the co. will settle with me and you can get your fee that way?

As much as I"d like to, I wouldn't be able to do that, actually. In looking at your brief profile, it looks like you're in MI, and I'm in CA. This means that MI won't allow me to represent you at all. I'm very sorry.

One of the hardest things to do sometimes is find a lawyer that you can trust. Google searches are a good place to start, but usually the lawyers who pay the most can get bumped up to be on the first page regardless of their quality. One thing I recommend is going through your state’s lawyer referral service (LRS). The LRS in each state typically requires the attorney to have several years of practice, be free of discipline, and have adequate staffing to assist people. Here is the link for the Michigan LRS click here. Look for a personal injury attorney and they may be able to help.

Hello, it’s been awhile since we connected so I wanted to check in with you to see if you had any further before you rated. If you have any other questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with today. Please reply here and let me know.