I am having my household goods shipped from MA to FL.

Customer Question
I am having my...

I am having my household goods shipped from MA to FL. Received a quote from EZ Moving for $6413.37. We were required to have a cashiers check for $1690 at time of pick-up. The truck was loaded and drived immediately demanded an additional $6000. We paid the driver and called company to protest.The revised shipping charges were increased to $13,353.00. The contract we signed with moving company states "If you have not signed the mover's revised estimate, and the mover loads the truck, then Federal Regulations reuires the mover has reaffirmed the original estimate and cannot demand additional payment at delivery for the additional items". We now have a cash due on delivery of $2663. The company is not responding to my complaints.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the truck?

We were in MA at time of pick-up. The truck was reasonably new. The moving company sub-contracted with "The Guys with a truck.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

It is a shipping company. Not manufacturer. We have repeatedly contacted mov ing company and truck owner..

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Are their charges for advise

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/6/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Well, since the contract took place under MA law in MA, you have a very big stick to use, it is called MA General Law 93A, which says this type of bait and switch is an unfair business practice and entitles you to sue in MA for up to triple damages plus attorney's fees (or if your contract mandates arbitration, you could seek that in the arbitration).

In order to avail yourself of MA GL 93A, you need to send the company an actual letter demanding reimbursement, See sample demand letter at http://www.mass.gov/ago/consumer-resources/consumer-assistance/93a-demand-letter.html

If they do not respond, then your next step is using a MA Consumer Attorney and filing your suit/arbitration against them in MA under the MA laws which are way more favorable to you because you can win triple damages plus attorney's fees.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.