A judge revoked my bond twice. The first time for not paying…

Customer Question
A judge revoked my...

A judge revoked my bond twice. The first time for not paying a public defender fee of $3500. The second time my name was never called in court and when I notified the prosecutor I was charged with fta but I was in court that day

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Louisiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Yes but he didn’t do much about it. I still had to bond out a 3rd time and pay more money

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don’t think so

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/6/2017
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. What is the question that you have regarding this situation?

A judge revoked my bond twice. Once for not paying the public defender $3500 and another for fta although I was in his court room the day he said I failed to appear and apparently it was due to some mix up on the docket but he still made me bond out a 3rd time. Is this lawful? Doesn’t this violate my constitutional rights to a fair and reasonable bond, right to counsel, and my right to an impartial judge since he suggested to take a plea to resolve my bond issue?

Thank you for the reply. Give me a few minutes to compose and type an answer for you.

Ok

Although he has the right to revoke your bond and set it higher, it's pretty clear to me that the judge is trying to force a plea on you. If he knew when he revoked bond for your failure to appear that you actually were there in court -- not because you told him you were there but because the clerk, for example, confirmed a mixup on the docket -- but he revoked bail anyway, he did violate your rights.

Here's the problem, however. A judge is completely immune from suit or prosecution for actions he takes in the course of his duties on the bench. You do have remedies, but they are not, unfortunately, very good ones.

The first is to file a motion asking the judge to recuse himself from your case so that it can be heard by another judge. You would cite the fact that his actions show that he is biased against you and he would not be capable of giving you a fair trial. Unfortunately, this motion gets decided by the judge himself, and it's a very rare judge who is going to admit that he's biased and can't preside fairly over a trial. So you may not win the motion.

The other option would be to report the judge to your state's judiciary commission. They can look into the matter and the judge could be sanctioned, even removed from the bench for his failure to uphold his professional obligations.

Either of these remedies is going to anger the judge, which may further impact negatively on your case. If the judge's rulings actually cause you to lose at trial, however, you would be able to appeal the matter on the basis of judicial misconduct and error.

I know that this isn't what you'd like to hear, but our system was set up so that judges could be independent. Nobody would take the job if they could be sued or charged whenever a party to a case objected to a ruling or a verdict.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney