Can i get the definition of "charge off" relating to a

Customer Question
Can i get the...

Can i get the definition of "charge off" relating to a utlity co. I was sent a statement that read charge off and zero balance then i suddently a few bills later the old balance wqs tacked on to a new bill

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Ca

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Such as?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that i can think of

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
also i was asked ti pay a deposit at my new location which i did. then on my second bill was the old amount that was charged off so i paid the new charges only then several days later they turned off my service
12/5/2017
Lawyer: DamienJD, Attorney replied 7 months ago
DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Having a charged-off debt means you have not been paying the full minimum payment on money due. Because of the delinquent payments, your debt is re-categorized as “charged off” on the company’s profit-and-loss statements. That means your creditor has given up hope that you will pay them back. The company considers the debt a loss, marks it charged off as bad debt as a profit-and-loss write off, and will either sell or transfer your delinquent debt to a collection agency.

If you have a follow-up question, just let me know.

Hello again! Checking in to see if you need further help. Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer a related follow-up question you may have. If I have not answered your question completely or missed a question, please let me know and I will attempt to answer it. If you are satisfied with your answer, please provide a positive rating between 3 and 5 stars at no extra charge so I can get paid for the service I provided to you. Best regards.

well the question was and still is after they consider this old debt charged off and sent me a statement stating a zero balance, and then allowed me a new account, charged me a deposit, with I paid immediately, sent me a first bill for 75.00 which i paid in full, then sent me a second bill for a new charge of 67.00, however they then added on the charged off amount, which then took my new account to 3800.00. I disputed that amount because of the charge off and the zero amount balance on my startement. I immediately paid the 67.00 so it would not become delinquent, and then the following Tuesday after the hollday, my electric with disrupted. what are my remedies, or do i even have any options here.

It will be tough for you because not surprisingly, the utility company has the upper hand since you need its service. You could argue that its mistake caused you to change your situation so much that you cannot now be required to pay the back charges. That is called the defense of laches. However, usually, a certain amount of time must pass before one can use that defense. Here, you would have to show that your situation changed so much that you now don't have the money to pay. The other option is to negotiate a lesser charge or a payment plan.

I know this answer is not quite what you want to hear but attempting to take them to court on this for making a mistake on their invoice may lead you to spend more time and money than it is worth since it may win in the long run.

Sorry, for the not so good news. We can discuss more if you want to do so.

Hello again: Do you have further questions? I know this is not the exact answer you would have hoped to have heard but it is better for you to know what is expected in this situation. If you are satisfied with the services I provided to you, please provide a positive rating between 3 and 5 stars at no additional charge to you so I can get paid for helping you. Again, if you have a follow-up question, just let me know. Best regards.

Hello again:

Just checking whether you got all that you needed from Just Answer. If so, let me know. if not, let me know. Thank you.