Can a retired circuit court judge in Nashville, Tennessee…

Can a retired circuit...

Can a retired circuit court judge in Nashville, Tennessee preside over a civil wedding in Aspen,Colorado and sign the marriage certificate? If not are any commits rules that would authorize his authority.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Colorado. The wedding is a destination wedding for two California residents and and the presiding retired circuit judge is a Tennessee resident.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

No. I am a licensed attorney in Texas and Missouri but not Colorado and the father of the bride. Can you suggest an attorney in Carbondale, Colorado Garfield County or Aspen,Colorado Pitkin County who might advise me?

12/5/2017
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks for your patience. Under CO Rev Stat § 14-2-109(1) (2016), the retired judge of a court can be an officiant in a marriage. The law does not specifically state that they must be a retired Colorado judge; thus, you wil be able to get married by this person even though they are from TN.

What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

Thanks, ***** ***** wanted to be sure that there any local or procedural requirements.

The pleasure is all mine! You should be good. Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

3. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions on the cheap.

4. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Van
Van, Retired Criminal Court Judge
Phone call session started