Reserved car for boyfriend in Orlando, Fl, but boyfriend…

Customer Question
Reserved car for boyfriend in...
Reserved car for boyfriend in Orlando, Fl, but boyfriend signed and paid for rental with his Visa as he was to be the renter. He declined insurance coverage. Boyfriend had an accident. I never signed the contract, but listed as an additional driver as well as renter. Rental agency says I’m responsible. What are my options? My insurance will not pay as I didn’t sign the contract
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
12/5/2017
Lawyer: KLAW, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site, the answers are for general information. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Good morning. If you are just listed as an additional driver, and did not sign the contract, not were you driving then you would not be legally responsible for the accident. Since you did not sign the contract as the renter, and it was paid for by him with his credit card, you would ,not be liable. The only exception would be that if the rental contract had language that specifically stated that you as the additional driver would be responsible for Damage to/Loss of the Car​. However ,most if not all rental agreements only refer to the driver and the person(s) who signed the contract. Just placing the reservation under your name is ***** ***** to tie you in legally to the legal responsibility for the damage. Your insurance company will not pay, and does not have to pay legally, because you are not legally bound under the rental contract and you were not the driver.

I hope this clarifies.

It was a pleasure assisting you today, and I would appreciate if you would rate my service, so I will receive credit and payment for my work. After you rate the question you can ask follow up questions, and you will not be charged any additional money for the follow-up questions.

If you have any other questions please just ask.
KLAW
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer