Is backing into a parking spot illegal in florida, A CONDO,

Customer Question
Is backing into a...

Is backing into a parking spot illegal in florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state this is in? And do you know who owns the lot?

A CONDO, FLORIDA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

WHAT KIND OF PAPER WORK

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

BACKING INTO A PARKING SPOT IS INCURRAGED BECAUSE IT IS SAFE WHEN LEAVING YOUR LOCATION ALSO VS PARKING LOT ACCIDENTS

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/5/2017
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Florida has a statute that requires license plates be plainly visible from up to 100 feet away, not obscured or otherwise obstructed. That applies to vehicles driven, parked, or stopped on the roads, and it could apply to backing into a space with a vehicle that doesn't have a front license plate. Section 316.605.

However, some municipalities have their own laws on this apart from the state law. What city/county is the property in?

Also, if the condo documents prohibit backing into a space, that's different. Condo documents don't have to be based on specific statutes. They're legally binding because owners agree to them when buying a property in the community. It's possible the HOA wants to avoid back-in parking so they can easily view license plates and verify whether people are authorized to be on the premises (even though back in parking is safer).