I live in colorado, but i have reason to believe that my…

Customer Question
I live in colorado...

I live in colorado, but i have reason to believe that my deceased fathers identity is being ghosted in arizona...who do report this to?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes the suspected person/people are possibly family, and i do not know for sure what exactly the extent of this is

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/5/2017
Lawyer: Edward Young,
 replied 7 months ago
Edward Young

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please give me a moment to formulate a response. Also, please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.​

ok
no i dont want to call you
Lawyer: Edward Young,
 replied 7 months ago

Identity theft is a crime that involves the use (or theft) of another's personally identifiable information, such as Social Security number and birth date, to open credit accounts and other nefarious acts. Arizona has strict laws when it comes to identity theft.

Under Arizona's identity theft laws a first offense is charged as a Class 4 felony. A Class 4 conviction can mean anywhere from a minimum of 1 ear to a maximum of 3.75 years in prison for a person with no prior felony convictions. Probation, with up to one year in jail, is also available.

To report a possible identity theft, file a report with the local Arizona county or city law enforcement agency.

Because it is a felony and you suspect that it might be a family member, you have a difficult decision to make. If you report the theft, you will certainly have to give a statement to the police. Your relative, through his defense attorney, will have access to it and find out that you turned him in. In the event that the thief is a family member or relative, if the family is unable to decide on a course of action, it may be best to seek the advice of an attorney that specializes in estate or family law, please refer to ITRC Fact Sheet 115 – When you Personally Know the Identity Thief: http://www.idtheftcenter.org/Fact-Sheets/fs-115.html

Does this identity theft affect you in any way? If so, all the more reason to report it. If you fear for your life, you need to let the local law enforcement agency know.

I hope this helps.

Please go ahead and rate me. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.​​