I just filed criminal charges against my husband yesterday…

Customer Question
I just filed criminal...

I just filed criminal charges against my husband yesterday for video taping us having sex without my consent. I found 3 videos and have the proof in a safety deposit box. I then went through his emails on his computer (he gave me the password ***** while ago) and found further evidence of him sending nude pictures of women to others without their consent and I turned over that evidence to the police and have notified the Army as well of other military code violations. He left our home last night on the advice of his command, but left his desktop computer which I believe has more evidence that I can't access. What can I legally do to stop him from coming back for it so that evidence isn't destroyed?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
12/4/2017
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 4 months ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Will you be calling the number I provided?

Good afternoon. I am sorry to hear about what you are dealing with. If you are concerned with his obtaining the desktop and destroying it, you can take it and turn it over to the police, to help with the investigation or over to his command, so they can hold it. If there is evidence which you believe can be used against him, this can be turned over and preserved.

I paid the $34 instead of the $26 and requested a phone consult already

I just saw that. I am waiting for the option to appear, so it can be accepted.

at this point if it is in my possession and know the password ***** can I still legally access it now that we are estranged?

If he has given you the password ***** allows you to access it, there would be nothing that would stop you from using the computer and if you found evidence, it could be turned over.

OK what if he didn't verbally give me permission but also didn't tell me not to access it. Does giving me the password ***** constitute giving me permission?

Giving you the password ***** indicate permission to log on and use it There would be no other reason for you to have the password ***** he knew or wanted you to be able to use the computer.

Also, am I legally allowed to move it to a different location for safe keeping if the investigators will not hold it as evidence right away?
That would deny him access to it, of course.

That would be at your discretion, at this time. There is nothing preventing you from doing it and if you did not give it to him, he would need a court order.

OK I just don't want him taking out charges on me in retaliation for "stealing" or denying him access to his property. Could he do that?

This is marital property and in the home, so it is a civil issue between a husband and wife. It is not as though you are destroying it. If it has evidence of a crime, the police should take it from you, so it is not destroyed.

ok thank you so much!

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

LegalKnowledge, Attorney