Maine law, trying to settle my mouthers estate. Meeting with…

Customer Question
Maine law, trying to...

Maine law, trying to settle my mouthers estate. Meeting with benefitures with estate attorney in his office. 6 of my 7 siblings had picked a 2acre parcel from a 60 acre lot promised by my mother while she was living. I did not pick my 2acre parcel yet. During the meeting with benefitures and lawyer, all benefitures agreed that l needed to pick my lot before we could go forward with the distribution of the remaining parcel. Now one sibling wants 5acres before I pick no promiced lot. My sibling is holding up the transfer of estate unless he has his way.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Maine

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Only recorded in law office

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/4/2017
Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 7 months ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

I read your facts. Is there a specific question with which I can assist?

Did you read my question?

I read the facts. There is no question which is why I ask what is your question.

Can my sibling reneg on his oral agreement to allow me to pick my parcel so we can move forward. He agreed in the meeting with the estate attorney present
Can my sibling reneg on his oral agreement to allow me to pick my parcel so we can move forward. He agreed in the meeting with the estate attorney present This dosen’t seem to work,thanks anyway

Ok. I was typing my response but I will opt out.

Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Ray here a new expert.

Here since this had not been reduced to writing the sibling can pull out.You can have the court partition this in kind by dividing it up or a sale if you cannot resolve.
Those are the options since there is disagreement here under Maine probate law the court will resolve it at hearing here.

Maine statute of frauds requires anything dealing with land to be in writing and signed by all including the judge.One that is done it is enforceable as a contract.

Please don't shoot the messenger.Lawyer for estate should have given you the options here to move forward.

I appreciate the chance to help you and thanks for your patience.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.