WHAT DOES AN OSC DISCHARGE MEAN. CALIFORNIA. 11/19/15 WAS…

Customer Question
WHAT DOES AN OSC...

WHAT DOES AN OSC DISCHARGE MEAN

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

CALIFORNIA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

11/19/15 WAS OSC DISCHARGED AND THEN 11/25/15 THERE WAS A NOTICE OFE NTRY OF JUDGMENT FILED

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

NO THATS IT

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/4/2017
Lawyer: DrakeLAW, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
DrakeLAW
DrakeLAW, Lawyer

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you, please give me a moment to review and possibly research answers to your question.

An OSC is an Order to Show Cause. Do you know if a hearing was set? Sounds like an OSC hearing was set and missed and as a result, a judgment was entered.

Please kindly rate the question so I may be credited. Thank you. You can still ask follow-up questions.

I purchased a business in 2016 and I just got an order to appear for examination
When I purchased the business I was not aware of any pending law suit
I wanted to understand what happened
07/25/15 there was a failure to comply with trial court delay- OSC DISCHARGED
8/6/2015 Defulat entered
11/19/2015 osc discharged that means the defendant didn't show up right
11/25/15 default judgment
then after the default judgment was filed
it looks like a defualt judgment was filed on 11/25/15
then an order to appear on 5/10/17
order to appear 6/20/17
and now on 11/03/17 we got another order to appear
what is the point of the order to appeal if the judge already entered a default judgment

If it is for a business you purchased and you have a contract for the purchase, there is usually a provision in there where the former owner swears there are no pending lawsuits, etc. If there is and they lied, you would have claims against them.

The subsequent OSC's after the judgment could be to appear for a judgment debtor's exam. Which is where they inquire into the defendants finances and ability to pay the judgment. Only way to know for sure what it was for though is to get a copy of the OSC.

Was I able to answer your question?

DrakeLAW
DrakeLAW
DrakeLAW, Lawyer