Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I live in North Carolina, my husband passed away on 9/30/17,

Customer Question

I live in North Carolina, my husband passed away on 9/30/17, he did not have a will or anything writing, when he died I started receiving letter from different credit card company and the Hospital were he was admitted, he only left a truck on his name which I gave to my daughter, everything else was on my name, please tell me what should I do.
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the truck?
Customer: NC, 2003
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: what do you mean?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no,
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 11 months ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thank you very much for your patience. I'm so very sorry about your husband's passing. Generally, unless you personally guaranteed that you would pay back the hospital, then you are not going to owe that money and the hospital cannot come after you personally for that $ either. However, they may be able to come after the estate of your husband. This means that they may be able to potentially sue the estate and get a lien on his truck and any other property that he had left in his estate. However, if he only had the truck, then the company is likely going to simply have to write off that debt as a bad debt because it is nearly impossible to collect against the deceased in most cases. You can always of course settle the debt with them.

Sometimes, just settling the debt is the easiest thing to do. It doesn't always appear as if it's the easiest thing to do, but every single day lawyers across the country are explaining to their clients that if they just work on settling their debts in a way that makes sense for them and they are going to be in a better position in the long-term. To facilitate your situation, there’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for debt settlement (click here). It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If you send this letter and they do not respond, then try sending it again to remind them that settling is really what resolving disputes is all about.

What other questions did you have for me today?