Aunt passed away in 2003 ,did not keep paper work? How canI…

Customer Question
Aunt passed away in...

Aunt passed away in 2003 ,did not keep paper work ? How canI get info ?

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

NY ny

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Ihad power of attorney copy of will or other showing such info?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Legal
12/4/2017
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Did anyone ever file a probate case in the Surrogate court to settle her estate?

.

.

thanks

Not to knowledge .

Ok, if no one ever filed a probate case, then there is nowhere that wills are filed to just hold them as they are completely confidential.

.

So unless someone has the will, it is gone and unable to be recovered and if aunt had any assets in her name that were now in her estate, default state law would determine who her heirs were that inherited.

.

A POA expires upon her death, so that wouldn't help get anything done..

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

Hello again,
.
I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.
.
Did you have any further questions I can help with?
.
.
Thanks much