We moved into pineview estates in flint mi in 2006 signed a…

Customer Question
We moved into pineview...

We moved into pineview estates in flint mi in 2006 signed a lease option our lease was up last year and we never renewed it.. my husband died November 21st.. we paid a large deposit down ,, since he is deceased and the main wage earner.. is the deposit or part of it refundable

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I reported his death nothing has been filed

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just what are my legal right is reference to this.. since the lease is no more

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/4/2017
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 7 months ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. I am sorry to hear about the passing of your husband. When you ask about a deposit, do you mean a security deposit? Or was a deposit made when you agreed to the lease to buy option?

thank you I really hope you can help me it was a lease option but the new lease was never signed so we went from month to month do to the problem with the home..
we have this place 3/4 paid for it went from 49900 to a balance of 22000 and since my husband passed I can not afford to stay here, I even ask if I could move to a cheaper place.. was told no.. he was the main wage earner. I am really in a mess

What did the original agreement/lease say, as far as time to buy? How was this all structured?

i also can not afford the 59.00 to talk i will type

Not a problem.

it was set at a 15 year lease to own, there is still 7 years and 9 months to go before it is paid off.. i will go get the lease .BRB

Thank you

i just found the lease it gave us 5 years to excersise the option to buy.. there is a lot of mombo jumbo in there is reference to the lease and deposit.. but nothing about a death clause

Thank you for the reply. The lease and agreement to buy will control. By that, I mean the landlord would still need to offer it and ask long as the proper payments are made, the home would need to be sold. Now, if his passing no longer allows you to pay the required amount and you have to vacate, the money paid to date, may be forfeited. If nothing was stated within, addressing his passing and the ability to pay and not being able to buy, there would be a presumption that you defaulted under the lease to buy agreement and the landlord could keep the money.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

no I was afraid of that.. I know the owner very well and he know my situation..

Ideally, he would work with you and understand the situation. If not, he could stand by the agreement and allow it to control. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.