I'm looking for legal info re a breeder who sold me sick…

Customer Question
I'm looking for legal...

I'm looking for legal info re a breeder who sold me sick dogs from Australia I lice in Hawaii.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes, consumer affairs, and w the kennel council

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I've spent over $40000 Breeder is not answering

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/4/2017
Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Do you have a website for this breeder? Did you ever receive the dog?

I was hoping to get a response from you before typing an answer. As you have not replied, I will give you some general information. If it doesn't touch on all you need to know, you can reply with a followup and I'll be happy to add to my answer. Followups have no additional cost.

If you got the dog and the dog is sick, the primary difficulty is that you chose to deal with a breeder in another country. That makes him outside of the reach of US law. An international suit from here would be very costly, and even if you win the case, if the breeder doesn't pay the judgment, you'd have to go to court in Australia to get the Australian court to enforce a US judgment. That's not automatically granted. The better course would be to hire an Australian lawyer and sue the breeder in Australia in the first place.

US breeder associations and consumer protection agencies have no jurisdiction in Australia either. You would want to report this breeder to the ACCC which is Australia's consumer rights agency. Here's their website where you can learn how to file a complaint.

There is, however, a very popular pet scam. If you've been paying money for a dog you've never received and paying preposterous quarantine bills that seem never to end, then your so-called sick dog doesn't even exist and neither does your breeder. In that case, you're the victim of a fraud and you're not going to be able to get your money back unless/until you can find out who your scammers are. That's a job for law enforcement.

If you never got the dog, let me know and I'll give you more details about the scam and how to report it.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.