Ask a Lawyer and Get Answers to Your Legal Questions

Need to confirm: statute of limitation to file a suit

against the City of Kansas...
Need to confirm: statute of limitation to file a suit against the City of Kansas City for violation of civil rights- is it 5 years.
If damage occurred on 12/04/2012; Do I have until tomorrow to file a complaint in Federal Court because the courts is closed today (Sunday)
Can I just file a complaint without the exhibits- I may not have a time to put exhibits together.
Could a postmark (12/04/2017) work ?
12/4/2017
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Correct. File ASAP. When date lands on a weekends rolls to next business day. Complaint need not include exhibits.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Me being pro se, I wan't be able to file on online because I am not an attorney. What if I send compalint to someone on online and have him print it and take it to Federal Court there in Kansas City ( I am in Vallejo, CA). Does complaint need an original signature. Can I amend the complaint after I file it but before I serve it on the party.
You can amend. You can also have a lawyer handle the filing. An original should be filed.
Good luck.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
somehow, it won't let me rate. Anyhow, I will try back in few minutes. Other thing, I do not have lawyer yet. I will have to visit to KC. Do you have any other suggestion, other than an attorney to file
I would recommend to make sure your complaint is a clear narrative and compelling. Telling a story so to speak.martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.
Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. Happy Holidays!
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
INFOLAWYER, Attorney