I'm a reiki practitioner and want to know the legal issues…

Customer Question
Hello! I'm a reiki...

Hello! I'm a reiki practitioner and want to know the legal issues in the "laying hands on" method in reiki.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Las Vegas, NV.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I had business enforcers tell me that I'm not able to do any "hands on" anything unless I'm a massage therapist. I was given a correction notice because I had a massage table. However, I see other business here that offer that (on massage tables) and they aren't massage therapists.... so I'm not sure how it all works.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am a yoga teacher and my business license is in instruction services.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
I have taught yoga in studios and community gyms that allowed touch/assists/yoga adjustments. I opened up my own meditation, wellness & yoga business and I was given a correction notice that I'm not allowed to do those activities at my business.
I also had body oils at my location to offer to clients when I gave them a yoga adjustment and I explained that to the business license enforcers. They told me that that is not allowed. When I teach as a contracted instructor, the owners/manager allowed me to bring my own oils to use for clients.
12/3/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Ok, got it. Thanks.

Great, thank you! Bear with me a moment while I review…

Do you happen to have copies of the notices they provided? It'll make it easier to determine what specific sections they say you're violating.

Here you go!

Thanks. Bear with me momentarily.

I have a client right now, so i may need to resume this conversation later.

No problem!

Ok, so, as I'm sure you know, a massage therapist has to complete at least 500 hours of training and be recognized by the NevadaMassage Therapy Board. This means that if a person is going to be offering this service to people, then they'll have to be licensed. In the state of Nevada, a "Massage therapist" means any person that works for a massage business or establishment, administers massage as defined by NRS 640C, and possesses a valid Nevada State Board of Massage Therapist license. Massage therapy is generally defined as doing:

(a) Effleurage;

(b) Petrissage;

(c) Tapotement;

(d) Compressions;

(e) Vibration;

(f) Friction; and

(g) Movements applied manually with or without superficial heat, cold, water or lubricants for the purpose of maintaining good health and establishing and maintaining good physical condition.

These are under NRS 640C.060.

So, the trouble with his is whether your specific kind of therapy is considered to fall under the definition of anything listed in a through g. In your experience, do you do any of those particular things?