My fiance company closed my auto loan in June of 2017 and my…

Customer Question
My fiance company closed my...
My fiance company closed my auto loan in June of 2017 and my car is in my garage and they still haven't come to get it. The tags are expired and there is no insurance on it so I can't put it on the street. Can I charge them storage fees ?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/3/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Ok .. I'll be waiting
I Live in GA if that helps

Great, thank you! Bear with me a moment while I review…

Thanks so much for your patience. The law hasn't considered something like this just yet. Normally, the laws regarding repossession center around the rights of the person whose car was repossessed. If they have not yet come to pick up the car, there's nothing that specifically allows you to obtain storage fees if they haven't done that yet. You could charge them storage fees, but absent an agreement that allows you to do that, you may not have much success in getting them to pay up. What other questions did you have for me?

what do I do with the car?

You may want to consider just writing a formal demand letter that they come retrieve the vehicle or else you'll start charging storage fees. You see, although there's no law that specifically allows for this, there's no law that specifically prohibits this, either. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation. What other questions did you have for me?