I have an extra 1000 dollars in my account, do I have to…

Customer Question
I have an extra...

I have an extra 1000 dollars in my account, do I have to find out where it came from

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Conn.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not to my knowledge

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/3/2017
Lawyer: INFOLAWYER, Attorney replied 7 months ago
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
You should. The bank should be able to identify source of deposit so you can determine if it’s a mistake or something else.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Awaiting your reply, thank you!
Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I see that you've requested a new expert.

As the other expert said, the bank should be able to tell you where the deposit came from. The thing is, if they made a mistake, they have a legal right to deduct the mistake from your account and put it where it was supposed to go. You don't necessarily have to investigate it yourself, but there also isn't a law that allows you to keep the money. The old adage of "finders keepers, losers weepers" has no legal applicability.

The problem is, if you withdraw and spend the money, and then the bank realizes their mistake on their own (or if the person who was supposed to have that money calls and reports the error), then they'll deduct the money from your account, which could leave you overdrawn. You could wind up with things like your rent or car payment being returned. There could be overdraft and returned item fees, which at some banks are $40 (or more) per item. Some banks also charge daily overdraft fees. If you're not able to bring the account current, they could keep your future deposits and even close the account, which goes on your credit report. So it's usually in your best interests to find out if the money really is supposed to be in your account before using it.

Please rate my answer positively so I get paid for the time spent answering your questions. If you're on a mobile device, you may have to scroll to the left. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this?