Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I went to vince's pizza for the first time for lunch. the

Customer Question

I went to vince's pizza for the first time for lunch. the bill was $8.49 I pulled out my discover card, and vince was at the cash register. and yells at me I 'm in busnis to make money, and I 'm losing money when you use a credit card to pay $8. so I went to the bank and cashed a check (I don't believe in atm s) and went back to the restaurant and gave him a $10 bill. he never said thank you or give me change back. just walked away. this incident occurred on july 29th 2014. I was so mad I wrote a bad review and called him an ass h....! four days ago on November 29th 2017 I got an email from vince's pizza. at the bottom under vince's pizza it began "my grandfather.....so fearing it might contain a virus I just deleted it. I never opened it up not knowing what it said. of course you know that under your review the computer automatically puts down your name, so mine read Sharon N chgo, il. how on earth did they get my last name? my email address is***@******.***. now that they know my last name all my info is exposed.after 3 and one half years I get this email. how long did they have it, can they get my ss # some how? my date of birth is on the backround check, which is a security question. what damage could they have done now that they have all my info? what could they do to destroy my life? what should I do?
JA: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?
Customer: it's I Chicago, il and it began on july 29th 2014
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no, never thought to go to the police at that time. I thought of going to the police the day I received the email but I deleted it, so I have no proof. also this happened 3 and one half years ago.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i am afraid of bodily harm. i am 66 years old and have coronary heart disease i live alone even though i live in a senior citizens home. my car is parked in their parking lot. there is jus a wrought iron fence that is only 5 ft high. it's so easy to have somebody climb over it. they know which car is mine i am afraid they sabatoged it in some was
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The only way they could find out your email address would be from you posting the online review. Most of the online reviews mandate the poster provide an email address to prevent people from creating false anonymous reviews. Just because they know your email address does not mean they have all of your information, all they have is your email. Your SSN is not tied to your email and your email does not disclose your date of birth or other identity. All your email discloses is your email address, which is why people concerned about personal security do not use their name as their email, they make up some other email address.

Just because someone wrote you an email 3 years after you wrote a review would not be sufficient for a court to issue a restraining order to protect you from bodily harm I am afraid. You would need to show the email to the court and it would need to contain some type of reasonable threat of harm. If the email did contain such a threat, you need to notify the police immediately. Since you deleted the email, if it is not in your trash folder still, unfortunately there is no legal action you could take at this point in time I am afraid.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
they got my email address because I wrote a review. please explain again it just said Sharon n chgo, il and what did they do to get my last name. don't understand

Thank you for your reply.

But the websites log the email address of the people who post on those sites, as I said, it prevents people from leaving fake reviews either positive or negative. The fact they waited 3 years to contact you likely means there is no threat in the email they sent you and it is likely just a random advertisement.