I am getting evicted from my home on Dec 8th. I have a 13 yr…

Customer Question
I am getting evicted...

I am getting evicted from my home on Dec 8th. I have a 13 yr old son. Is there a way I can get more time. Just to spend Christmas here. I also have a 88 yr old sick father. I don't have a place to stay unti Jan 1. I'm in Bergen county nj

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

NJ

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I got a eviction notice in Oct. but still wasn't enough time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The house was sold in May. My ex husband walked out in 2011 and I didn't even know he stopped paying for the house. I'm 55 and a single mom and caretaker of my father

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/3/2017
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Can you tell me where you are in the process?.

.

Has the new owner filed a formal eviction action in court and gotten a judgment against you?

.

Have you been served with a writ of possession from the sheriff?.

Where are you getting the Dec 8th date for an eviction?

.

.

thanks

I got the eviction notice posted on my door. In Mahwah nj. Bergen county
from the sheriff. I just need more time because I don't have a place to stay till Jan 1. I have a 13 yr old son and sick father.

Ok, I still need more info.. Have you been to court yet or is this just a notice to vacate the owner/landlord had the sheriff post on the door?

Does the notice state it is a "Warrant for Possession"?

The date was on the eviction notice. Dec 8th 10 am. I would of been out a long time ago but w a 13 yr old son. Sick dad and 2 dogs is hasn't been easy.
I live at 20 Forest Hill Rd Mahwah nj 07430. The house was bought in May from a sheriffs sale
No court date. Writ of possession
Just a notice posted on the door
It's almost Christmas I don't want my son to go thru it till after. Plus we don't have a place to stay till Jan
Any help would be a God Send. Are you still there sir?

Ok, then if this is an actual Writ, then you have already had a court date and a judgment has been entered against you for eviction. If you didn't go to court and try to get more time when your court date occurred, then it is entirely up to the landlord/owner whether they give you more time or not.

.

I hate to say it, but if the property sold in May, you had to have known that you couldn't stay there for free indefinitely. And the fact that they gave you an eviction notice in Oct should have let you know they were serious about you leaving. If you have waited until the last minute to try and stretch your stay out until after Christmas, then you are going to have to appeal to the owner's compassion to try and get them to agree to postpone the eviction.

.

I am sorry that the news isn't better..

.

.

Do u think. I can possibly get an emergency stay of eviction

Possible, but it isn't like it is the day before Christmas so the courts may not be very understanding since you would be asking for another month to live there without paying anything at all to the new owner. While I sympathize with your situation, it has been 6 months since the house was sold to a new owner and he has the right to take possession of his house..

.

However, it absolutely can't hurt to file the request with the court..

I understand. Again if it was just me I would of been out a long time ago. But much more difficult w a 89 yr old sick father and a young kid. I'm main caregiver to my dad. He's been in and out of the hospital and rehab.
Thank you for your advice. Have a good day

You are very welcome. Glad to help any time, even though the news was kind of lousy..

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much