I live in Indiana. I have made a plea agreement to serve 4…

Customer Question
I live in Indiana...

I live in Indiana. I have made a plea agreement to serve 4 consecutive days in jail starting today at 8 am. I am at the jail now and they say they have no paperwork and cannot accept me. Although I am here to serve they say my time doesn't start until I'm checked in and I do not get credit for being here. this is not my fault. They told me I will have to check with court tomorrow. What should I do? Will I still have to serve 4 full days? Do I get credit?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

Indiana. Court was June*****ordered to serve 4 consecutive days starting 12-3-17 at 8 am.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I do not know. Not my job. I called to confirm over a week ago and they said I slipped through the cracks. Called lawyer and receptionist told me she called court and I slipped through cracks they would file paperwork.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/3/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, you do not get credit until you are checked into the jail, they are right about that. If they did not get the documents from the court, they cannot just check you in I am afraid. You would need to have your lawyer or you personally will need to go to the court tomorrow and find out what happened. Your lawyer CAN ask the court to give you credit or waive the time based on the court's error in the paperwork and the judge does have the authority to waive the time or reduce it, but that is up to the judge's sole discretion.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.