I have an inheritance but it has been put on hold until the…

Customer Question
I have an inheritance...

I have an inheritance but it has been put on hold until the taxes are paid

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

But the money was transfer from South Africa

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

What can I do to get the money released so I can pay the taxes

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/2/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Could you tell me a bit more about the inheritance?

Are you being asked to pay taxes to release your bequest?

How were you contacted? Who contacted you?

It was from a relative that was killed in an car accident. I was contacted by the bank in South Africa.
The money has been transfers by it was put on hold until the taxes are paid.

Did you know this relative? Do you have independent verification that this relative was killed and left you money?

I have the death certificate on file
I need to know is there a way to get the money released so I can pay the taxes?

I am trying to determine if you are being targeted by an overseas scammer.

Did you actually know this relative or were you contacted out of the blue and told you were the only surviving relative for a person you had never met or heard of until that time?

Are you still online with me?

Tina, Lawyer