Had an attorney that I paid to help with car accident. After…

Customer Question
Had an attorney that...

Had an attorney that I paid to help with car accident. After about 8 months the person agreed to pay. the attorney said he doesn't have any papers to show me what the actual agreement was. The guy sent 2 checks and stopped. Now the attorney said is will be another 1300 to file. What should I do? I want the money but what about the 1100 I have already given him. I wonder if he got his money cause the guy was supposed to repay the lawyer bill. I bet he got his money or he would be fussing

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

TN 2009. Ford Fusion the one with all the perks on it. Totaled. wreck was July2016. 18 yr old hit in rear at light. Father's truck, said had insurance shows on accident but the truck had not been insured for over a yr. The policeman did not actually see proof just took the fathers work when he arrived about an hour after accident. Tried to be nice and handle with out lawyers. Fathers said fix it yourself cause I ain't giving you a dime. He has sent 2 checks then stopped.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

We have a police report and death with the attorney for approx 6-8 months. I just sent money and left it up to him. I know he wrote a letter and spoke to the other lawyer a couple of times.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am having to borrow a car and I don't have a lot of money.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/2/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If the attorney does not have the written settlement agreement something is wrong. No attorney should settle without a written agreement and under the rules of professional conduct he must get a written agreement and must show it to you.

You need to inform the attorney you want to see the settlement agreement he negotiated before you engage him to go any further and tell him it is is his duty under the Rules of Professional Responsibility to not only have obtained one, but to share it with you.

If he refuses to do so, I urge you to consider first getting another attorney and firing this one. Then let the other attorney get the information and potentially file a complaint with the TN bar against the first attorney AND possibly even a suit against him for return of your money based on his negligence in failing to get a proper agreement if he did in fact fail to do so.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.