Appeal on non select letter without explanation from San…

Customer Question
Appeal on non select...

Appeal on non select letter without explanation from San Jose Police Department

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And when did this happen?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

But I am from NY

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No They said there is no feedback

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
Dear Applicant,
Thank you for your time, interest and participation in the hiring process for the position of Police Officer/Recruit with the San Jose Police Department.
Although you completed the background process and were presented at the hiring board meeting, we regret to inform you that you were not selected for the position at this time. Any reasons why you were not selected will not be provided because all information obtained during the background investigations and selection process is confidential. The hiring board’s decision is final. No feedback will be considered regarding their decision.
Although the board’s decision does not preclude you from re-applying, we ask that you wait at least one year from the date of this letter before doing so. If you reapply before the one year period, there may not have been enough time to pass to allow for a different selection result.
A formal letter will be sent to you to your home address of record.
I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.
Sincerely,
Patty Steinfurth
San Jose PD
Background Unit*****San Jose, CA 95112
SJPD-COLOR_Wheat small
12/2/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

What is your question for us regarding this matter?

How to appeal it? The purpose is to get into next February, 2018 Academy

Thank you for your reply.

There is no official way to appeal this type of denial. Under CA law, employment decisions are considered to be at will. What this means is that the employer has a right to hire or fire anyone for no reason at all or for any reason not based solely on the age/race/sex/disability/national origin of the employee and the employee has no legal recourse generally. Even the CA background check law excludes law enforcement agency investigations.

So, you would need to explain that you do not know of anything in your background that should disqualify you and any information they have found is likely erroneous.

However, if they refuse to reconsider, then legally there is nothing you can do other than wait as they told you and reapply, since CA does give them the right to refuse you for any reason other than only based on your age/race/sex/disability/national origin.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney