I got divorced in in August 2006 i was never notified of my…

Customer Question
I got divorced in...

I got divorced in Virginia in August 2006 i was never notified of my divorce because I live in Washington state her are her attorney put it in the newspaper in Virginia plus my phone number has been the same way before my divorce. This has cause me a 20,000 overpayment with the VA because of not being probably served, she know i am in Washington state, which she is also getting social security from Washington state which shows where i live.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

Navy legal only

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

How can a diverce be process without proper notification

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
12/2/2017
Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Are you wanting to modify the terms of the divorce back in Virginia?

Her lawyer here was able to motion the court to allow service by publication.You could seek to modify the terms of the divorce.You will need to file a motion to modify the decree .It is too lat to challenge the actual divorce.But it is possible to modify the property division or other things in the decree.

You are going to need a lawyer to modify the decree here in Virgins where the divorce was granted.

Virginia Lawyer Referral Services  

Attorney referral service in Richmond, Virginia

Address: 1111 E Main St Suite 700, Richmond, VA 23219

Hours:

Closed today

Phone: (800)(###) ###-####/a>

Reference

http://info.legalzoom.com/virginia-law-modification-final-divorce-decrees-24996.html

I am so sorry that she did this to you.You have remedies to seek modification of the decree.I appreciate the chance to help you .

If you can positive rate5 stars it is much appreciated.

Thanks

You are so welcome thanks for rating 5 stars at top of your page.

Ray, Lawyer