I signed a bill of sale to an ex boyfriend for my car for…

Customer Question
I signed a bill...

I signed a bill of sale to an ex boyfriend for my car for 0$. It is registered in my name. I have the registration. I decided I do not want to give it to him. Can I take it back? This happened a week and half ago.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

New Hampshire. 1997 bmw z3 roadster

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No just wondering if it’s ok for me to take back

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/2/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Loren, Attorney
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.
There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.
Was title ever transferred?
Did you receive anything in return for the car, or was it gratuitous?
No title transferred. Don’t think it needs to be in nh and because of age? No money. Says o on bill of sale
Is it still considered mine and can I take it back. It’s registered in my name and I have the registration
A gratuitous transfer is not enforceable in court and if the title is still registered in your name then you can take back the car and there is not really anything he can legally do about it since a promise which is unsupported by consideration is not legally enforceable.
Even if I signed a bill of sale
Unless there is consideration it is not a sale and the registered title is prima facie evidence of ownership.
Ok thank you
You are very welcome.
If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.
Thank you!
Unfortunately you were wrong with your answer. I took the car..ended up getting arrested. In NH you only need a bill of sale even if it was for no money transferred.. I have to return car and now I have a criminal record. Sucks.

It is a defense that you are the registered owner and the transfer was gratuitous.

Retain counsel and present a defense.