I was in a common law relationship 40 years ago and I

Customer Question
I was in a...

I was in a common law relationship 40 years ago and I started using the man’s last name. That last name is ***** ***** but my drivers license. I would like to change my drivers license to match but not sure what to do in the state of VA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, I don’t think so

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Legal
12/2/2017
Lawyer: Thomas Swartz, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Attorney

Hello JACUSTOMER,

You must first go through the process of filing an Application for a Name Change with the Circuit Court of Virginia in the County in which you live. You can find a sample of the Petition you must file here:

APPLICATION FOR CHANGE OF NAME (ADULT)

To find the Circuit Court for the County in which you live, please see this list: Individual Circuit Court Homepages

The best way to do this is to actually go to the Circuit Court for your County and go to the Clerk's Office, and ask for the name change application and any other instructions they may have for that particular County. Some counties I believe also require you to provide a proposed Order which the court will sign to effectuate a legal name change. There will be a small filing fee for submitting the application, and the Court will schedule a brief hearing before a judge to hear your application. And then so long as you are not filing the application for any fraudulent purposes (such as avoiding creditors) a judge will grant your name change and sign an Order legally changing your name.

Then once you have your Court signed Order, you can take this to your local Department of Motor Vehicle Office to change the name on your driver's license. The DMV's information about changing your name on your driver's license can be found here: Change of Address or Name. You will note that in there information, it states you need a court Order granting a name change. And that is the process I described above to get an Order from your local Circuit Court.

So, in summary there is a two step process. First, you must apply for a name change from the Circuit Court in which you live and get a Court Order. And then taking this Court Order to a DMV office to change the name on your driver's license.

I hope this information helps.

Thomas

Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Attorney