I am a social worker who is a Medicare provider for

Customer Question
Hi! I am a...

Hi! I am a social worker who is a Medicare provider for psychotherapy. I need to know what the Medicare policy and procedure is when I and a Medicare client agree that the client will pay out of pocket for specific services. For example, Medicare only pays $15 for a therapy group session, and the going rate I charge others is $60 per session. My Medicare clients are willing to pay out of pocket if I give them a reduced rate, say $30. Thanks!

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Illiniois

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, except I just realized I have to leave for work now! Not used to this speed!

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
12/1/2017
Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 7 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Unfortunately, it would be illegal for you to negotiate a different rate for services covered by Medicare. You must bill Medicare for the services.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you.