I have a policy with aflac...I was unaware that I should…

Customer Question
I have a policy...

I have a policy with aflac...I was unaware that I should have contacted them to update my policy regarding my salary increase. Since I opened the policy I have never heard from any agent. Now I just had a baby and they are telling me the payments I receive will be from the salary I had ten years ago when I signed up. What should I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

New Jersey

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I filed a disability claim

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I tried contacting my agent for weeks. He never responded.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/1/2017
Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Marsha411JD, Attorney

Thank you for the information and your question. Are you saying that you never received a copy, or had access to your policy, or that your policy doesn't state what the insurance company is telling you?

It doesn’t state what they are telling me

Alright, well if your policy doesn't state that you will be paid according to your stated salary or the salary that you had when the policy was established, then you have a couple of options. One is to hire an attorney to contact them and advise them of the policy provision that they are violating and demand that they pay you what you were last earning. The attorney could also, if necessary, file suit if they believe the insurance company breached the contract.

Your other option, which you could try first since it is free, is to file a complaint with the NJ Insurance Commissioner's Office. You would need to write a very clear letter with only the facts in it and provide a copy of your policy that shows the breach by the insurance company in order for them to try to resolve the issue. This is a link to their Site: http://www.state.nj.us/dobi/consumer.htm

Please let me know if you need any clarification. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to reply to this answer and let me know that I covered your question and also to leave a positive rating in the ratings box on this page, then the Site will give me credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Should I also contact The Financial Ombudsman Service

Not sure what that is, but no, you would just either file a complaint with the Insurance Commission or file suit. No need to contact anyone else other than the insurance company, which you have apparently already done.